By November 2022, Tanzania’s diamond exports reached $63.1 million (Sh147.46 billion), according to data from the Bank of Tanzania. This is a sevenfold increase over the $8.4 million (Sh19.63 billion) export value that was reported for the year ending in November of the previous year.
The nation’s diamond producer Williamson Mines, which is temporarily suspended, has been given credit for the strong performance. The parent firm Petra Diamonds holds 75% of the business, with the other 25% owned by the Tanzanian government.
The 146-hectare Mwadui kimberlite pipe, one of the biggest economic kimberlites in the world, is where the mine, an open pit operation, is situated. However, Williamson’s production has been temporarily halted as a result of the November 7, 2022 breach of one of its tailing storage facilities.
About 115 people were said to have been impacted by the flooding of the murky waters in Ngw’wanholo village, Mwadui Lohumbo ward, Kishapu District.
The Williamson mine will start production in the fiscal year 2024, according to a statement from Petra.